Getting Married In Vermont

Vermont Marital Laws

Do we need a marriage license? What about blood tests?

  • You must buy a Vermont marriage license before your ceremony.
  • The license must be given to the officiant before the marriage is performed.
  • The license is valid for 60 days from the date of issue.
  • You must provide the following information to obtain a VT marriage license:
    – Your legal town of residence
    – Your place & date of birth
    – Your parents’ names, including your mother’s maiden name, and the states where they were born
    – You will also be asked to provide information about your race, the highest grade you completed in school, the # of times you have been married and how your previous marriages ended.
  • Be prepared to provide proof for any of the above (ie. birth certificates, divorce decrees, etc.).
  • You do not need blood tests.

Where do we get a marriage license? What is the fee?

  • For Vermont residents, you may buy the license at the Town Clerk’s office in your legal town of residence (either the bride or groom’s if both are residents).
  • For non-residents, you must buy your license in the county you wish to be married in (any town in that county will do). For those of you wishing to get married in Stowe (Lamoille County), you may contact the Stowe Town Clerk’s Office: (802) 253-6133.
  • The cost for the license is $45.00 and $10.00 for a certified copy of the license (subject to change).
  • You must appear in person before the Town Clerk, you cannot obtain a marriage license through the mail.
  • The Town Office is open from 8:00 am to 4:30 pm. Monday through Friday and the process takes about 15 minutes.
  • There is no waiting period

Who can get married in Vermont? Are there any restrictions?

  • You must be at least 18 to marry in Vermont (16 or over with the consent of a parent/legal guardian).
  • Anyone under guardianship must have the guardian’s written consent.
  • Vermont does not allow marriage between close relatives.
  • You cannot marry in Vermont to evade the laws of the state where you live.

Where can we get married?

  • A Vermont license is good for marriage in Vermont only.
  • Vermont residents may marry anywhere in the state.
  • Non-residents must marry in the county where their license was issued.

Who can marry us? Do we need witnesses?

  • A judge, supreme court justice, assistant judge, justice of the peace or an ordained or licensed minister, rabbi or priest residing in VT can perform your ceremony.
  • A minister, rabbi or priest from another state can perform your ceremony if special authorization from the probate court in the district where the marriage will take place is obtained, the Lamoille District Probate Court may be contacted at 802-888-3306.
  • Vermont law does not require witnesses.

What do we do with the license? How do we get a copy?

  • The license must be given to the person (officiant) who will conduct your wedding ceremony.
  • After the ceremony the officiant will complete the sections concerning the date, place and officiant of your ceremony, the officiant must than return it to the Town Clerk’s office where it was issued within 10 days.
  • The license becomes official after it has been recorded in the Town Clerk’s office where it was purchased.
  • At the time you purchase your license, you can arrange with the Town Clerk to have a certified copy of the certificate as soon as your marriage is recorded. The fee is $7.00 (for a total of $30.00).

Where can we get more information?

The Vermont Department of Health, Vital Records Unit
108 Cherry Street / PO Box 70
Burlington, VT 05402
802.863.7275 or 800.439.5008

Stowe Town Clerk’s Office
Stowe, VT 05672

Lamoille District Probate Court (for out-of-state officiants)
Hyde Park, VT 05655